PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ASIC card renewals
View Single Post
Old 8th Nov 2007, 01:14
Islander Jock

I don't want to be the best pilot in the world - Just the oldest

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At country airfields at least, no one ever checks, and the old one looks good at a distance.
Really smart advice to give on a professional website - NOT!

Yes you might get away with it at regional airports, you will probably also get away with it at a capital city airport. But don't go crying when you are locked on the other side of the fence looking at your aircraft parked on the apron.

I don't like this ASIC business any more than anyone else here. However as as an airport manager, myself and all other airport staff have a responsibility to enforce the DOTARS legislation no matter how flawed, ineffective or unnecessary we may feel that it is.

you can get ASICs cheaper than $196. I have heard that Aviation ID Australia are doing them for substantially less. THe thing that pushed up the cost of the cards was the transition from AFP doing the security checks at $49ea to Auscheck (AGs Dept) at $86 ea. They are however a bit faster in turning the request around and usually an issuing body will receive the response within 5 working days. The ony delay then is actually getting the card printed. Another good reason to use Aviation ID Aust as they are one of the few bodies Australia wide that have their own, "mega expensive" printing machine.