PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK Security, MORs and CHIRP
View Single Post
Old 7th Nov 2007, 17:11
Litebulbs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Last weekend, I was coming back from having a fag when the alarm bell went off for my zippo lighter that was in my jacket. I was informed that zippo's are not allowed. My mate had a normal lighter and that was OK. Obviously one highly flammable liquid is more dangerous than another!

The security operatives then tried to disarm the lighter, with a suggestion to remove the flint, so as to make it safe! This was overruled by the team leader, who said the only way I could take the hazardous object through in a safe state, would be to remove the internal workings of the device (remove the foam that holds the combustible liquid!) I said that this lighter was not a new item and had passed literally hundreds of random searches, through X-rays etc. The team leader said "Not On His Watch." I took the lighter back and went back to the safety of land side and took the item back to my car, which is a couple of miles round trip.

"Oh he is not a happy chappie" was the comment that followed me out on my exit, to which I replied...well you can imagine, but said very quietly as not to offend the people who are only doing their job!

The world has gone mad and yes, I should give up smoking!