PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK Security, MORs and CHIRP
View Single Post
Old 7th Nov 2007, 14:58
biddedout

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
I think part of the problem is to do with the way in which the UK security staff themselves are treated. Minimum wage, cheap and nasty excuses for a uniform, dingy working areas cheapo equipment and long boring shifts (particularly at non public access points). Contrast this with the DUS / FRA / STR experience where security staff there are well turned out in smart uniforms, they tend to work in high quality modern air conditioned building spaces, they have the right equipment including wands removing the need for degrading physical searches and on the whole, they are polite and friendly. This generally provokes a similar response from their customers. The passage through security in Germany feels very thorough, but it is an unhurried, calm and professionally run experience. Their secondary searches closer to the gates also heighten the feeling that they take security seriously and unlike many UK airports, it’s not just a corporate / DFT box ticking exercise.

I am always amused at 05.30 in the morning when the early morning crew rush starts at the security post. If a cart with 500 litres of milk arrives for the retail outlets, it somehow has priority over the crews who are trying to get through for the early morning wave. Still I guess it’s the non explosive type of milk and at least the passengers can drink more lattes while they wait for their delayed flights.

Even more amusing the other morning was bumping into Nigel. He was hopping up and down in front of the chief searcher demanding to know why HIS crew were all having to wait in the queue with everyone else couldn’t all go through together. “Don’t you know we have planning and checks to do” he said. . Sorry BA pilots, we know you arenot all like that, but there is always one and this one was a classic.

Obviously the rest of us don't do these checks, we just get on have a cuppa, read the sun scratch our arses and press the starter button.

Last edited by biddedout; 7th Nov 2007 at 15:15.