PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Are You Serious?
View Single Post
Old 7th Dec 2001, 11:38
West Coast

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts
B.K.

"It does rather sickening that the USA only deciedes to lead a crusade against world terrorism after the continental USA is attacked"

The only thing sickening was the attack on NYC and D.C. I say confidently that 9/11 is one of if not the greatest single day loss due to terrorism in British history with about 200 killed. This is not just the United States war, its yours also. It seems to me that if a 747 flew into Harrods that the UK would be leading the charge. The provacation was against the U.S. and as such the response should be primarily from us. the magnitude of Sept11 reqires more than just chucking a few cruise missles at them. The reach required can only be shouldered by a country with the military and assets the size of the U.S. This is not a slight to the Brit military, I served with many Royal Marines, and they are simply the finest fighting force on earth, what it is, is the fact that only the U.S. has the size to do it. Remember, your country is hated only slightly less in the middle east than mine.

"Crusade does seem rather biased towards all the nations the usa doesn't like"

Well that's where the bad guys tend to congregate.

"Acts of terrorism taking place elsewhere in the world often funded by U.S. money and weapons"

You Brits were a major supplier to folks like Pinochet in Chile, but I guess you can overlook that and the juggernaut that The British arms industry is. The UDF in NI delivers food to the needy right? Many a Catholic has died while the military looked the other way, but I digress.
It must be problematic to your arguement to infuse the idea that the special relationship that our two countries share is based on mutual, symbiotic policies. As goes our foreign policy, does yours and vice versa. Any blood on our hands drips down to yours, so again get your own affairs in order prior to looking elsewhere.

"Self righteous chest beating on behalf of the world when its really what the U.S. government wants"

And the French, Egyptians, Aussies, Brits and others don't want the the threat eliminated? Justice for WTC is hardly chest beating. You make it sound as if the civilized world is ambivalent about the attacks and only mildly interested in its outcome. In the immediate days following Sept11 I knew that not to be the truth, I can only hope that has not changed. I know you blokes over there prefer the stoic, stiff upper lip approach, but I cannot apologize for being a bit bellicose after 3000+ died over the course of an hour for the crime of going to work.

Before you take the U.S. to task, ask yourself what would be your response if it had been you instead of us. Would I and fellow Americans be accusing you of chest beating and acting asymmetrically? Nope.