PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Are You Serious?
View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2001, 20:06
Ralf Wiggum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't want to upset anyone here, but the American dream is not everyones dream and neither is the British one. If we insist that only governments that meet with our approval are in power, then we are not much better than Al Q and the Talibans.

The American viewpoint is somewhat understandable after the 11th of September, but the world has been afflicted with terrorism for hundreds of years. It is nothing new and if the media is to be believed, the US has been sponsoring certain aspects of terrorism for many years. Was Dusty Bin Laden not once involved with US policies and given funding from there? I don't know, but the media imply that.

Turning the place into glass would not fix anything and I'm pleased that it was an Engineer who spouted that one, not some General or politician. If we were to take that sort of revenge against the sponsors of the IRA and those people who live in such areas, Boston would not exist.

Don't forget either that during the Empire days, us Brits were nothing more than bullies and terrorists who created misery for many. How far we have come in order to point the finger!

Finally, I recall on a number of occasions that I have been told by our allies in OOA/TDY that 'In the US we do ...' I have news for everyone from the other side of the pond. OOAs/TDYs are not in your nation. I also heard a senior RAF Officer talk about the Human Rights Act in relation to the Taliban. Since when did our Statute Law become World Law?

I still support the American and British policies on this conflict, but in order to stay on side, we all have to be very careful. Let's not forget what the mission is and as far as possible, lets leave the innocent people out of this conflict.