PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BAConnect & Flybe II
View Single Post
Old 5th Nov 2007, 11:57
oldflyboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Of Luck.

As I left Fybe a while ago for pastures new, I just wanted to wish you all , either ex BACON or Flybe past colleagues the very best of luck as you move forward in this difficult time for the crew community. I left because of some of the things you guys talk about in this forum, lack of respect from management, published rosters not being worth the paper they are printed on, poor service to our cistomers on the ground etc., etc.

All I will say is that if you want to work for a company that offers you a stable life and recognises what you contribute to the business you either have to leave as I did, perhaps some would say the easier option, or stay and FIGHT to get what you should have as a matter of course. The latter is the more difficult option of course, but to be commended if you really want change.

I speak as one who in my BA/Bacon days stood on picket lines and took company flack and propoganda, and in the majority of cases got what we were after; after all, the loss of a day or twos revenue can work wonders in making a company realise they need to resolve issues. In many cases the lost revenue is far greater than the cost of fixing the problem, but the bean counters don't have that on their spreadsheets, so need a nudge to understand.

If your grievances are logical, fair, and can be quantified by the union and will impact on the customer in a positive way when resolved, (happy cabin crew means happy customers), then you stand a good chance of getting resolution and improvement. DON'T tie it into money, be sure of exactly what your reps are asking for on your behalf, and if the above is clear, vote to take industrial action. HOWEVER if you are not sure exactly what you will be striking for, MAKE SURE YOU GET A PROPER EXPLANATION IN WRITING FROM YOUR REPS, BEFORE YOU VOTE.

Too many actions fail because the crew don't actually know what the issues are, so don't listen to crew room gossip, talk face to face with your reps or attend union meetings to get clarity.

Once you are clear what the issues are, then you can make a decision.

Remember if you are happy with your terms and conditions and don't think they need to change, don't go on strike. BUT if you are as pissed off a so many seem to be, the only way you can influence change is to take action. The company will push out masses of stats and propoganda saying things are not so bad, we are working hard to improve your lot etc. In my experience these promises always lead to little or no changes. so be aware.

Flybe crew are a great bunch of people, if only your management were as dedicated to you and your customers, it would be a great place to work. The solution is up to you!

Once again, good luck guys, you may need it!

Oldflyboy