PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Legal to fly N-reg on CAA licence?
View Single Post
Old 4th Nov 2007, 15:36
ock1f

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Chilli monster- good point and it was something that was occupying my meagre brain cell capacity. Its an interesting question- the IAA say that i can fly an NREG in ireland under the privileges of my uk jaa issued ppl and its all legal and dandy but the US regs state that an nreg can only be flown in the country that issues the foreign licence which would exclude me flying nreg here in ireland unless the JAA licence is considered europe wide for validity reasons....which it is in europe but apparently not in the US(or is it?)

Without wanting to sound morbid or some such, there must have been a hull loss or fatal accident involving an Nreg somewhere in europe involving a Jaa ppl licence and when the Nreg was being operated outside the country of licence issue since the Jaa ppl licences were introduced??-if so i wonder what the outcome was with regards to the view
1) the hull insurer took,
2)the life insurer,
3)the AAIU/AAIB branch of both the country in which the accident happened and the country of licence of issue (as both would be involved),
4) the FAA (as country of a/c reg)

This is a common enough topic and the answers(unfortunately vary widely) are so diverse that i wish the head of the FAA (marion blakely)or her replacement would just write an open letter clarifying the whole FAA/Jaa thing

Obviously with financial and family commitments i am reluctant to fly here in an Nreg despite the clarification i got from the IAA that its ok because... if god forbids the worst happened i dont want my dependents to find themselves arguing the toss between IAA/JAA rules and FAA rules as to whether i was operating outside my licence and the knock on effect it has with life insurance and so forth.

Just one final thought..usually the rules of the air and resultant legal obligations are those of the country that is being flown over i.e. an NREG and or an FAA pilot in ireland would be subject to the rules of the air here e.g an Faa pilot here cannot operate Vfr at night(outside a control zone) despite having the privilege on his/her FAA licence.

Would that give precedence over the country of registration????

I await learned and informative responses from ye with much experience and wisdom....seriously

OCK1F