PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAS Q400 gear collaps CPH 27/10
View Single Post
Old 4th Nov 2007, 14:13
Fokker28

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow - Fokker28, what a legend you are! If you've actually figured out how to get consistent smooth touchdowns in the Q400 (and IN the touchdown zone at that!!), why don't you come off your high horse for a little while, and share this secret with all of us other Q400 pilots who have yet to figure this mystery out. Only if you have time -that is.........

Never said I was special. I was just relating my experience transitioning from the CRJ to the Q. If you try to land the thing completely power-off, you're in for a crusher. Our normal technique is what I've already described. We use flaps 35 for everything except CAT IIIA approaches with the HGS. Overall, the appearance is of a very 'flat' flare, with just a couple of degrees of nose-up pitch.

The only reason my post above had such a snarky tone was a response in kind to the genius who postulated that we just float along until any old time and then bonk it on. I'm guessing he's never flown a Q400 if he thinks that a power-on landing is optional. What do I know? I just fly the pieces of junk every day...