PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin - Crew Discussions II
View Single Post
Old 4th Nov 2007, 06:56
Right Way Up

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
VS_LHR,
Apologies. What I meant to say is that VS can afford an increase in crew wages. Funny how comms are not so good after going down the pub.
Fournier Boy
As a matter of fact, I think he actually explains the current feeling in the engineering department very well. You've done yourselves no favours
FB. My issue is not the fact that other departments are against the crew striking. I would feel the same, but it is the little comments against the crew e.g. the cocktails, withdrawing all "your" help that to be frank is ridiculous and puts your department in a bad light. Sure state your objection & reasons to the crews actions but leave it at that!
I also reiterate I am not cabin crew. I was with with VS for 10 years. I am now at a company that pays the industry rate for my profession and am about to receive shares equivalent to 1/3 of my wage. VS have always pleaded poverty during wage negotiations, and historically apart from one years pilot negotiations the workforce have bent over! These paytalks are not about rpi + x %, they are about redressing the balance as VS are paying the lowest rates in the industry.
Overall this will be a scary time for all at VS and I would agree with VS_LHR that VS cannot afford a strike. I would suggest that the crew will very soon receive a new deal which will allow both sides to withdraw with everything intact. The fact is that VS "mismanagement" have allowed this situation to escalate when it shouldn't have.
BTW out of interest would you guys in ENG consider yourselves paid the industry rate?

Last edited by Right Way Up; 4th Nov 2007 at 07:20.