PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Great PO/5Y Debate
View Single Post
Old 4th Nov 2007, 06:47
mercpc9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by furloughed
Did the Atlas guys ever get those battle stars the MEC promised?
This ties in with same question on another thread in which I stand corrected. While I was wrong and have gotten new info, cptvac said he was correct. As it turns out, he was wrong also.

A resolution was forwarded to the recent ALPA Executive council meeting for the Battle Stars for Atlas crewmembers. That resolution vote was put on hold until the Executive Vice President representing Polar has time to review how it was done at another carrier (Northwest). So it wasn't voted down, just delayed at the hands of the Executive Vice President representing Polar at the council meeting.

A second (the last minute one requested by a number of the Executive Council from the Atlas MEC) resolution was forwarded as above to motivate Polar to go forward with the merger. It was resolved to hold that vote until the current Polar arbitration with the company on the merger was resolved.

Not quite what cptvac would want you to believe.

I have some more stuff on the ALPA Alternative Hearing of the Illegal SCAB list. I'm going to hold off putting it out until I get confirmation that the hearing has adjourned. May have more stuff by then anyway.

On another note,

I don't remember anyone on the Polar side digging through airway bills, checking freight, or going on a sympathy strike like Atlas did. I think the only thing that Polar did was have one of the MEC monitor the loads from the company office in Purchase NY during our final hour (Greg Dimoff or Denim Yarger?) and then Chairman Fell volunteering his membership to fly Atlas struck A/C and contracts. What overwhelming support. Thanks for all that effort.

Having said that, we do know that some Atlas freight did go on Polar prior to and after. No we didn't go on strike in the end. It became more important to keep our guys in the cockpits with Polar, AACS, GSS, and the other contracted carriers at the ready to replace us. They had already been replacing us for some time as we were shrunk with our A/C, contracts going to Polar and with furloughs. Atlas furloughs equal in expansion of Polar, AACS, GSS. Lorenzo would be proud of Atlas management on how they handled it. Of course, a majority of them were Lorenzo lieutenants from those days. After all of this, we didn't start a hate campaign against Polar. We only brought this all up after being attacked by the Polar MEC and membership.

I would also like to note that other NON-UNION airlines were contracted to fly our stuff and were flying it prior to the deadline and afterwards under the clauses in the contract Atlas signed with them. These guys didn't have a choice what so ever and we at Atlas didn't like it, but we didn't start a hate campaign against either. We knew they were up against a wall.

Last edited by mercpc9; 4th Nov 2007 at 11:08.