PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin - Crew Discussions II
View Single Post
Old 4th Nov 2007, 02:23
scoobydooo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After a cracking night out I have come in only to be saddened by the them us posts that are ongoing. Unfortunately this is a bi-product of any strike scenario regardless of the company/industry especially when there are other departments who do not have adequate representation to ensure they get what they deserve.

A lot has been said regarding us poo-poo'ing a deal 2-2.5x more than other departments have received. You must remember though that the cabin crew are attempting to bring themselves in line with counterparts in other airlines. This will seem like a large % initially, once this initial correction has been made I would imagine many crew would be happy with raises in line with RPI. (look back to the initial % increase the pilots received - it was modest to say the least, but now any changes are relatively minor)

I am saddened it has come to this, I can honestly say though hand on heart that if engineering or checking or base admin and their unions (if they were adequately represented) felt that the only way left to pursue a fair deal in their respective departments was by striking then I would fully support you. I might not be able to join in, secondary action being illegal etc but if I was on a day off I would certainly bring bacon rolls and tea & coffee to your line, but that's just me, the way I am, I dont believe anyone should be getting "shafted". When I read all the information relating to how virgin is doing financially, sales revenue, turnover, everything is on the up yet other departments were offered a poor 2% that sucks - as said before, the two departments that are heavily represented by unions do not stand for this, please please please get yourselves represented - it is your right and will benefit you in the long run

I agree with the comments regarding sickness, there are some who make it worse for others, I have been sick 3 days in the last year due to blocked ears and there are many who are also proud to have low sickness.

Regarding the comment I've no idea what would happen down route. If I ruled the airline and my crew refused to board a plane I certainly wouldn't pay for accommodation or extra allowances, so not sure what would happen in these circumstances.

I believe when this can potentially happen the outbound is basically not operated, if it was there would be a fuss regarding an employees duty of care for the crew and not allowing the crew to carry out their legal right to strike on an organised strike day - I think that's why the airlines try to avoid this scenario (please note this paragraph is all think - I do not know 100% for sure) but I would expect the union to provide answers to such questions with an accompanying leaflet with the strike ballot.

11% more votes is all that is required, I strongly urge the company to hold immediate talks with the union, change something that you think will cater for 11% of those votes and offer a new deal which can be sent out with the strike ballots.

I cant think of one crew member I know who wants to strike, we would rather this was resolved amicably however my hand (I say "I" as I cant speak for others but I think it's a "we") is being forced into this situation.

When other departments have been forced to use the threat of strike and to strike as a last resort they have been supported by other departments - why are we different ?