PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin - Crew Discussions II
View Single Post
Old 4th Nov 2007, 01:15
Tom Sawyer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
I know I shouldn't reply as I will only get flamed............
However a few pages back somebody asked about input from other departments, not just engineering and obviously this is a hot topic at the momment around the company. I do not want to turn this into an "us and them", I just reported some feelings and instances around the company that I have picked up on. As I said I get on very well with a number of crew and reckon in general you do a great job. As for your levels of pay, as I previously stated in an earlier post, I really don't know what the going rate is around the world. I know I can get more elsewhere, but it isn't always as clear cut as has been pointed out numerous times in this discussion. I'm sure that is the same for all of us.
To answer a few of Raffles' points.
1. I can't help the fact that payrises are % based. Yes I may get paid more but my training and such like puts me and others such as pilots, accounts etc in that position. An old can of worms that has been discussed many a time. Maybe if they company offered everyone a £500 a year payrise instead it would appear fairer, but can't see it coming about.
2. Allowances. I wasn't complaining. I think what I get per night is more than adequate. So how come crew find their higher allowances inadequate? Hence the story about the crew drinks. Of course I don't begrudge anyone having a few on their allowances. However it is pretty contradictory to read one thing and hear another in the current climate.
3. Spice Girls etc. It is called free advertising and publicity. Yes it may cost the comapny a bit to transport them and their crew around the world, but I'm sure it is more than offset by the product exposure and brand awareness.
4. Lack of service if I'm in J on staff travel. A great example of how this whole affair could go on an us & them basis. Nobody wants it, so why provoke it with an unwanted strike?
5. A346 engineering "dispute". (Convienently) I can't remember the full details, but pretty sure it wasn't pay related as the eng Tier System was being implemented around that time. More to do with lack of training / exposure to the type. There was a lot of politics and lies going on as well that muddied the water. Certainly would not have led to industrial action as we are non-unionised, and under the conditions of engineers licenses we should not sign out an aircraft under such circumstances. But overall I guess you may have a valid point.

No matter what I guess this will easily turn into an slanging match between CC and any other departments. My main aim was to report what is / could happen if things do descend any further, and back it up with examples. However for one of mine there is always one of yours and our individual entrenchments will never meet.
As I said; Think long. Think hard............and thanks for the breakfasts