PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin - Crew Discussions II
View Single Post
Old 4th Nov 2007, 00:23
Virgin89

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stike action

Does no one on here realise what damage a stike will do to this company?

The management are not going to come back with another offer. That is clear as they have left the 4.8% on the table for the duration of the next ballot. If they were going back round the table then they would not leave this offer on the table. They would pull it.

It has been mentioned that all this talk of job losses is just scare mongering and that this won't happen. Trust me, as an FSM with 19 years service and someone who has been through this before, it will happen.

New routes that the company have recently started would be pulled. There are two that have launched the past week, with others that are no doing as good as they could be, so could be pulled. They pulled routes after 9-11 as they had too. They will do it again.

Each aircraft that operates a daily route requires around 90 crew. This takes into account a daily service, sickness, leave etc. Times this by the a amount of routes pulled (4) and you are left with nearly 400 job losses in all ranks.

Any new route takes 2-3 years to make money on so pulling ones that have just started doesn't cost the company that much.

Remember, age legislation now doesn't allow any company to conduct redundancies on a 'last in first out' procedure. Is has to be done on performance. This is now the law and seniority within rank counts for nothing when a company now goes into a redundancy situation.

We should take the 4.8% that is still on offer, elect a new union that can fight for what we want and listen to us and then go into the next pay talks in a much stronger position.

We will win nothing this way.

Each day we stike the pay offer becomes less and less. Does anyone out there really think that by going on stirke we will enhance out offer? if so I am sorry to say you are living in the clouds, not just working in them.

We all want more but this road we are now on is a sure way to ensure that we and many others in the company get less.

Good luck to all of you. I for one will not be voting for stike action. It's a company I love and have given a lot too. I don't want to see another 9-11 when in a few years we could be so much stonger and have a union we believe in.