PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - American Airllines pilots ask for a 53% pay rise.
Old 3rd Nov 2007, 14:00
Chimbu chuckles

Grandpa Aerotart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The CEO can make decisions that effect profit (positively or negatively) to the tune of tens/hundreds of millions of dollars. I'm yet to see a situation where we pilot's can do the same .
Highlighting mine.

I dunno...you seen what a crashed jet full of pax costs lately?

J* have had what can only be described as, at least one, VERY close call just recently...that close call can be laid directly at the feet of innexperience and reduced/poor training.

The reason we are seeing such innexperience in jet cockpits is because growth has outstripped the availability of experienced pilots. Poor or reduced training is a result of innappropriate cost cutting.

Lack of availability of experienced pilots is partly to do with the perceived and real degadation in T&Cs and the status of the profession which is a flow on from the dumbing down that advanced technology has been perceived by beancounters to allow.

Unfortunately an A320/330/787 is not quite like other plant and equipment when it comes to 'dumb as a box of rocks'.