PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - American Airllines pilots ask for a 53% pay rise.
Old 3rd Nov 2007, 12:00
aircraft

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mr. Hat said:
So Aircraft could you explain what is a fair deal in your book? 3%?
If the airline could afford to give pay rises then this would be a meaningful question.

Do you think that an airline pilot should be paid the same as a nurse teacher bricklayer??
This is a purely philosophical question. In this world, workers are remunerated strictly according to economic factors, so you will, from time to time, see apparently gross disparities in salary between occupations.

It is not beyond the realms of the possible, for example, to see bus drivers on a salary of $100K with pilots of similarly sized aircraft on $50K. There won't be too many pilots that believe bus drivers should be paid more than them, but at the end of the day, those are just opinions.

Do you think that given that houses are in some cases double and triple what they were 5-10 years that any correction to wages is required?
We would all like our salary increases to keep pace with such things but regrettably, the aviation industry would rather see our salaries going in the opposite direction - and the aviation industry is very good at getting what it wants!

777Contrail said:
And yes, it's not just the money isue.
The way pilots are treated - that's the real isue!
We are seen as the trash needed to take the aircraft from A to B.
And for trash there's no respect, and you do not want to pay it any real money either. If only management can get rid of ALL pilots they will do so ASAP!
Aviation is not what it used to be! So, do you keep banging your head against the wall in frustration that you are not held in the same regard as your counterpart of several decades ago, or do you make a little adjustment to your perceptions of aviation?

Of course management would like to see the back of all pilots. They would like nothing more than a level of automation that would see no pilots at all on the flight deck. It is part of their job to look for ways to cut costs!

Chimbu chuckles said:
So PAF/aircraft just how long do you think wages can go down in real terms for non management/pollies before something really bad happens?
I don't believe that "something bad" will happen. I do believe there will be the odd "correction" that occurs from time to time, but overall, I believe commercial aviation will continue to follow the trend it has been on for more than 50 years now.

That trend, of course, is for ever more cheaper air travel for the world's people, and over the last decade particularly, a large slice of the reduction to air fares has come directly from reductions to pilot T&Cs.

Lodown said:
Lo and behold, the company returns to profitability and back into the light, thanks in part to the voluntary sacrifices of the pilot body. So now the pilots would like to share in that success.
Problem is though, that the company is only profitable because the pilots are on the reduced T&Cs. Return the pilot's T&Cs to the 1992 levels and the company will be back at square one and looking bankruptcy in the face. Actually, just try to begin returning the T&Cs and the airline will go bankrupt!

I would doubt that the management, in making that deal with the pilots to stave off bankruptcy, were intentionally trying to stitch the pilots up. It could be said to have turned out that way, yes, but the deal was struck 15 years ago, with no consultation of the crystal ball and no doubt featured liberal doses of wishful thinking.

lesgo said:
So why exactly can't WE get pay rises????
Executive remuneration follows a very different arrangement to your package. A large component of the increases in that article would have been based on performance bonuses. It is only a matter of time before those airlines have a bad year, at which time those executives will be looking at reductions of the same magnitude.

I don't think you will be crying "me too!" then. In fact, with the media being what it is, I very much doubt that the corresponding article would make it into print - big drops to executive remuneration just don't get the public fired up like the big rises.