PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin - Crew Discussions II
View Single Post
Old 2nd Nov 2007, 20:07
warkman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have tried not to post to allow everyone to make their own minds up without outside interferance.

I think that there are many of the younger ones who find all of this exciting and will vote for a strike rather like the Rover workers did, when Red Robbo told them to, its something new and exciting, well, untill you see you pay slip or lack of it after a month on strike, plus the fact it will take you years to get back to where you were that £1,000 per month you lose will never come back.

I think VS will try to run routes, less of them, with some flights piggy backing each other (i.e VS15 with VS27) the buisness routes will be their importatnt routes, more UC and gold pax, can't afford to lose them.
So these will be done on minimum staff and perhaps foreign based crew/aircraft? or wet leases perhaps?
It depends on the other sections, will the checkin outsourced staff refuse to service flights? will the cockpit jockies fly those flights? will the baggage handlers and other services refill those flights? probably, most are outsourced now.

Many on the B&S routes may not get away at all, leaving them peed off with both VS and the CC, leading to them jumping ship on their once a year trip to MCO and LAS.
This will lead to crap in the news, less people wanting to fly VS, will mean less jobs and contract terminations.
With the state of the industry (FGS, MYT etc shedding jobs) many will have to leave to get jobs outside the industry.

No-one wins in strikes, apart from rival airlines, especially with the Open Skies coming. Get buisnessmen onto a Delta flight or BA etc, will you ever get them back? Remember the way that VS had to give goodies away after 911 to get bums on seats?

One thing is for sure, it will be a gorgeous picket line!