PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Europa 738 at Katowice?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Nov 2007, 11:11
lederhosen

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
In Germany where I am a 737 captain our regulations do not give any credit for an enhanced crew unless separate (from cockpit and cabin) rest facilities are provided.

How much real benefit rostering an additional pilot provides is an interesting question. We certainly operate similar sectors overnight with two crew. Three crew spending ten plus hours in a cramped cockpit could even be argued to reduce safety. I do not say this is definitely the case, but it is a point of view. However unquestionably such flights are very tiring.

My company does not encourage autolands onto non CAT 2 or 3 runways and my experience is that without protection (e.g. LVPs) the autopilot disconnects a significant amount of the time when I do practice autolands for currency purposes. A low disconnect definitely brings its own risks.

Having said all that I can see advantages to carrying out an autoland in marginal conditions onto a runway with which I am familiar and where I have had a go previously in good conditions. Certainly food for thought and the type of debate (shed of national emotions) for which I find PPRuNe most interesting.