PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Europa 738 at Katowice?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Nov 2007, 00:34
Wojtus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@Ferrobus
Katowice has 2 NDBs (at 0.5NM and 4NM final rwy 27).
Runway 27: Cat I ILS with OM and MM (no DME) with 3.2 degrees glideslope. Full Approach lights, but no PAPI at this direction.

Runway 09: no radio aids, simplified approach lights and PAPI (3 degrees).

Runway has only edge lights (60m apart), no centerline nor touchdown zone lighting. Area in vicinity is very flat, so radio altimeter should give good readings through entire approach. Airfield elevation 994ft.

Radar service is not provided for the approach phase (Krakow Approach covers the Katowice until about 5000 due fade area), and aerodrome is under procedural control. At night (23-7 LMT) radar approach service is not provided at all (not enough staffing), and procedural approach service is provided by the tower up to FL095.

About 4-5 years ago ILS GS didn't made the flight-tests and it was suspended for about more half a year - unprecision LLZ approaches were in use. It was 2.9 degree glidepath then. It was finally raised to 3.2 degrees and passed all the checks. There was also a time (3-4 years ago) when some guy was unawarely using frequency close to GS transmitter for his private radio talks, which gave some wrong indications reported by crews. He got tracked down within a week. Since then there was no known to me problems with ILS.

You can check Polish AIP online (free registration required) at http://www.ais.pansa.pl/aip/

If you need some more information, please ask. However I'm not going to give away any details of the accident itself until it is officially verified. Just don't want to spread the rumours on the rumours forum ;)