PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - When is "Commercial" Commercial?
View Single Post
Old 31st Oct 2007, 23:00
QSK?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lasiorhinus:
If the 'group of mates' including the pilot exceeds six people, its not a private operation. Doesnt matter who pays what.
Absolutely correct according to the regs, but we have all seen any number of "private category" flights over the years using PA31s/C208s/bizjets carrying more than 6 persons. How does Dick Smith using his C208, for example, qualify as a private operation when he could be carrying 8+ pax (regardless of who's contributing what)? According to the regs, Dick's flight under this scenario could not be a classed as private category operation and, if he proceeded with such a flight, he could potentially be in breach of the regs (as I currently interpret them).

The implication of CAR 2 (7) (D) (vi) as itcurrently stands is that, as a private pilot, I can't fly anything bigger (with a full pax load) than a BE58? If this is the case what is the point of any private pilot either owning a larger aircraft or seeking the associated type endorsement? How do the corporate high flyers get around in a Challenger 601, as a private operation, carrying more than 6 company employees?

I'd really like to know the answers to these questions from a qualified source.