PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - easyJet buys GB Airways
View Single Post
Old 31st Oct 2007, 20:41
Norman Stanley Fletcher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are no doubt good folk like 62K who had a bad experience with easyJet some years back and will never have an orange thought in their head as long as they live. To them the demise of GB is the end of an era. There are others who believe a trip to the Costas with Monarch is somehow better than flying with easyJet - I personally would take easyJet every time but that is my own choice. The simple reality is that there were not enough 62k's to make GB work, but there are plenty of passengers to make easyJet work - which would explain their relative profit per set of less than £1 to more than £4 respectively. The plain economics are that GB could not make the money easyJet can and therefore, for the pilots and cabin crew at any rate, the future will be bright. It is easy to knock how easyJet does business with the hard sell to passengers etc, but the fact is that it works and consequently easyJet are creating countless new opportunities across Europe. As others have eloquently pointed out, if GB had slowly continued down the plug hole and pilots had started to leave, or worse still been kicked out en-masse, they would have ended up at easyJet on 90% for 6 months and then started from there. My best guess is that they will now have seniority for pay purposes applied which is a bonus that virtually no other new easyJet pilot has had. The only others who have not started at the bottom are the ex-Go guys who were the subject of a merger as opposed to a takeover which is the case here. They make up a handful of the total current pilot workforce and I think that the GB pilots can look forward to a long and happy career with easyJet. We all genuinely wish them well.