PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAS Q400 gear collaps CPH 27/10
View Single Post
Old 30th Oct 2007, 12:20
W.R.A.I.T.H

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I saw the aftermath of the incident on saturday late evening while departing to SXF from 22R, but in the darkness not much could be seen apart from flashing lights of emergency vehicles etc.. an unusual sight though.

Browsing through the thread I feel I need to defend SAS a little bit on this issue - their general experience with the Q400 here up north has been bad from the outset, the type has been plagued with problems with just about all and anything for all the seven years, it received a lot of bad press and is very unpopular with the public as a result. The relationship between SAS and Bombardier has been under strain all the time with the latter coming across as uncooperative and dismissive and at this point SAS simply have had it up to their eyeballs. I also note that the a/c in question falls into the infamous 2nd delivery batch both previously involved aircraft belonged to. When the first airframes (LN-RDA to LN-RDH) were delivered, Bombardier had to come back and fix a lot of toothing problems, remedies to some of which were immediately applied to the line. The second batch (ending with LN-RDS, not sure about that though) had been flying in the meantime and as such collected most cycles, becoming ones of the most flown airframes of the type and now the tip of the floe starts to show. Salty environment - quite possibly, but flawed maintenance as some would seem to insinuate, given SAS' excellent safety record on all types they operated and maintained in the last 40 years, that would make up for a very serious accusation, at least in my book. I wonder if someone from within SAS would expand on my points...

gotta go

Last edited by W.R.A.I.T.H; 30th Oct 2007 at 13:49. Reason: cant speel