PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NJS Pilots - 97% vote for Protected Industrial Action
Old 30th Oct 2007, 01:32
remoak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Track Coastal

You're an Air Force pilot I believe. You've never had your pay or conditions eroded, nor had to sign divisive and secretly hierarchical AWAs. You have never had to take it in the blurter since Work Choices came in, actually you've probably never negotiated a salary individually or collectively - full stop.
But on the other hand, all Air Force pilots face being ordered into a situation where there life could be terminated abruptly and violently. For that, they have my respect, if for no other reason than their first concern in life isn't pay and conditions. They often live in conditions that most airline pilots would gag at.

More to the point, you don't have to be a civilian pilot to comment intelligently on civil flying matters. Most of the issues being raised here have nothing to do with flying anyway, and any half-intelligent pilot could argue the pros and cons.

Far too many are suggesting "all out, bruvvers" without really thinking it through.

Concerning the '89ers, the majority either ended up flying elsewhere (lots and lots ended up in Europe), or they did other things. Only a few, relatively speaking, got back into Aussie airlines. Many of the ones flying in Europe were broken men - once they realised what they had sacrificed for what turned out to be a completely wasted action.

Nobody thinks NJS pilots should have to endure erosion of their T & C's, the only bone of contention is how they should solve their problems. I suspect that the ones in favour of any form of strike action are the ones with the shortest memories.

Not that any of this will have any effect on what eventually happens...