PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Europa 738 at Katowice?
View Single Post
Old 29th Oct 2007, 22:24
Jagohu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
captplaystation:
Fair enough, I apologize, I was still at work in and only read the first couple of posts...
Still I only wrote my opinion - I've no experience in TWR control, but the only thing I've learned since I've been around aviation that all the rules are written with blood thus if it's for me then 500 m is not 550 m and that's the end of story. I don't know about the RVR passed to the crew, that's a good point.
Another good one that I didn't realize it says BKN, I only concentrated on the 001 ending. Mea culpa.
I don't like to question the pilots, since I don't know the exact situation, but the fact is that they did hit that bloody thing, so something must have gone wrong. And if there is a tiny chance that they didn't do something according to the rules and procedures, I guess we all know that the investigators will jump on it, even if maybe it wasn't the direct case of the incident.
"it was 600m on the 09 end, don't you think therefore that it is just a teensy weensy bit possible that he just might have had 550 for his approach "
You see that's the difference between us. As a controller I've been taught not to assume that there something will be a "teensy weensy bit possible" but to make damn sure that YOU guys will miss each other and rather have 8 nm than end up with 4.5. I'd expect the same from the other side as well, but that's an other story.

I wonder if they were listening to the GPWS at all... 10 m is still below 50', so there should have been a few announcements before - amongst them the 200' DH. What do you guys say for that? At that altitude they should have seen the runway if the continued, shouldn't they? Enlighten me please, I'd love to know what would you do knowing that the RVR is a "maybe", passing 200' and still I guess not seeing sh*t but the lights, 'cos otherwise I presume they wouldn't have ended up like they did. Correct me if I'm wrong, but please avoid the style used above, I'm not your brother or student of FO or whoever you used talk to like that.

Again, I don't want to blame them, I'm just curious and I'd love to see these things not happening again, since I did have lost some old friends through a very similar case a few years ago - they weren't this lucky.