PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - easyJet buys GB Airways
View Single Post
Old 29th Oct 2007, 10:03
Gary Lager

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is inconceivable to me that easyJet will not just assume a date of joining going back to the date of joining GB (or at least dating back to the start of easyJet!) for salary purposes. That only affects 'loyalty bonuses' (5%, 10%, 15% of basic after completion of 2, 5 and 10 years' service)
Trying hard to understand the double negative, but why ought easyJet pay 15% salary to someone who has shown easyJet precisely zero loyalty, as opposed to someone who has at least applied, joined and been in the company for 5 minutes?

These payments are loyalty bonuses, not rewards for experience levels or any seniority-based system. They reward an employee for long service to easyJet. That is why they are called what they are and not an 'incremental salary' or some such.

I can understand a one-off payment á la the GO employees, but for those crews, whose company has had to be rescued, to leap ahead of easyJet crews who have put in the hard work to make the rescue possible is a little steep.

I am certain almost all GB crews will be made welcome and will enjoy working for easyJet, but do hope they won't sour the relationship by expecting to be handed on a plate what easyJet crews have to work damn hard for.

I share your view that a mutually satisfactory compromise can be worked out between the CCs, but let's not start setting unrealistic expectations at this stage, or the whole thing gets a lot harder for BALPA!