PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAS Q400 gear collaps CPH 27/10
View Single Post
Old 29th Oct 2007, 09:55
Captain_Trim

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Landing gear failure does happen - be it failure to extend or collapse on landing - and for the Q400 disintegration of the carbon fibre prop will happen and the resultant injuries may be fatal. (Well done SAS crews for moving pax/shutting down the engine)." HAC
(still haven't figuered out this quoting thing)

The Dash has a reinforced area around the fuselage at the point where the props are. This is for noise control as well as safety. Interesting to hear that parts of the prop still managed to penetrate.
We have recently changed to being a Flap 15 operator as standard (with runways over 2k length) although it is not mandatory. The Flap 15 setting is generally for pax comfort as the 35 setting gives quite a vibration due to the drag of landing flap. To be honest most of the airports we land at i wouldn't want to try landing Flap 15 as it gives you little room for error but places like CDG, LGW where you've got runway that circumnavigates the globe (as far as the dash is concerned) it's fine.

The dash is also notoriously difficult to get a gentle landing out of, flap 15 is much easier to get a greaser but still no method in it. Flap 35s are a lottery, you can do everything right and it will still punish you with spinal injury. .. and yes, i'm fully aware that people will critise and mock my ability to land but if you ask any q400 jockey they will say the same. You have to wonder if all the heavy landings don't help!!

Last edited by Captain_Trim; 29th Oct 2007 at 10:10.