PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - easyJet buys GB Airways
View Single Post
Old 28th Oct 2007, 19:20
Lauderdale

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I remember having the 'privilege' of sitting with a certain Johny Vegas in the Beehive boardroom about 7 odd years ago where he referred to the 'orange brigade/mob' and the business course GB would have to follow to beat them. For me that was day was when the days were numbered for the 'old' GB. The years that followed under the leadership of Mr Vegas, Slippery Bill and 'the Witch' were the slow death of a company that was unique in the industry and loaded with staff that really were a cut above the rest.

With the frustration of a failing mangement strategy many left (were forced to leave) during those years and it a disgrace that this was allowed to happen. Some (very) highly payed senior mangament figures should hang their heads in shame for their antics, including the crocodile tears filled Gibraltarian Mafia. The back end of the nineties was the right time to have taken GB to the level and capacity where it had the potential to be. But no, we decided to fly to GRX instead and we were trounced - (i could fill 10 pages with similar failings) in the process some highly dedicated Spanish staff in GRX lost their jobs and for this only the management were responsible. Disgraceful.

So now the year is 2007 and EZY has bought GBL. I always respected EZY as they have taken lots of stick over the years but have proven everybody wrong who doubted them or made fun of them.

What to make of this if you work for GB? Well if you work at the pointy end and your concerns are crew food and staff travel then you dont have all that much to worry about in your life. If however your work at the pointy end and have concerns over your pension/Pay/seniority etc then make sure that you dont get shafted over the next few months. The pilot community has always been pretty well organized within GB and that should see you guys through the next few months.

If you are CC, well if you work as an A/P then you will have something to worry about. On an economy of scale those guys would be facing left hand seat to right hand seat demotion. This presuming that the Psr's will keep their rank and get similar pay and can stay at LGW. Those at LHR have already felt the pain and stresses of last weeks announcement.

But hey, also spare a thought for those in the offices. Relocate to LTN? In todays economics of the region where we live most live in two earner homes and relocation is not all that easy. More job losses. Not to mention some of the over seas guys. This includes all those that lost their GB contracts overseas over the last 2 years. I would hope that the current senior management team are senstitive in regards to the pay off bonuses/golden handshakes they will receive.

It is obvious that BA would never have extended the current franchise and GB would never ever have survived with its current set up all by itself in todays market. So it is a good thing that this has now happened for you guys with a company like EZY. EZY seem to have some great staff (friendly) and is a company that will offer all of you many opportunities. When I left GB after more than a decade I realized how insular working for GB makes you become - there is a great aviation world outthere full of opportunity and I believe for most of you 12 to 18 months from now it will have been a blessing in disguise.

To my former friends (many of you!) at GB I say this; grab this opportunity, be positive but most of all dont let anyone shaft you over the next 2-3 months regardless if you are a pilot, CC or ground based.

Good luck!