PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin - Crew Discussions II
View Single Post
Old 28th Oct 2007, 09:35
Kasual Observer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by In The Pink
It’s also very amusing to read Virgin Pilots coming on here and advise against a strike. The very same pilots who not so long ago were prepared to shut the airline down over pay at a more difficult time for the industry post 9/11. If like us they were getting knocked back at the bank for an extension to the Cotswolds pile or a bigger pool for their villas in the South of France they’d probably think twice, well meaning as I’m sure they are.
You are free to do what you like with the free advice. However, you should remember that when we were negotiating our pay deal, we had almost 100% of the pilots in one, professional union. We had 100% confidence in our union reps and we had done our research into what could and what could not be achieved.

By comparison, you, the cabin crew, have at least two unions who have their own agendas undermining each other and the number of you, cabin crew, who are actually members of either of those two unions is patch too. It's one thing declaring 98% of the members have voted one way or another. However, if only 55% to 65% of the cabin crew are actually in either of the unions then it is a bit more difficult to try and convince the management to that you have such massive backing from your members.

Also, by the time we, the pilots, were talking about possible industrial action, we had 100% confidence in our reps. Now, look at you, the cabin crew. You have voted against the recommendations of your elected reps. That is the same as a vote of NO CONFIDENCE in your elected reps. Now, you are again talking of ignoring their advice of acceptance and you are prepared to go into industrial action?

I'm sorry, but it's a no brainer for anyone except the most militant and judging by some of the very amateurish and knee jerk reaction and comment observed on here, you are doomed to failure if you try and take industrial action at this stage. Until you, the cabin crew, can get your collective acts together and get massive support from your co-workers for representation by one, single union who have the wherewithal to train your negotiators on how to go about working on your behalf and have the necessary resources to provide the back-up necessary, then you would, in my humble opinion, be better off accepting the equivalent of "a bird in the hand" and regrouping for the next round of negotiations which should start in about a years time anyway.

If you are going to use our, the pilots, last negotiated settlement with the company as an example, then you should at least be prepared to take a bit of advice from us. We are not stooges trying to undermine you and we certainly believe that you, the cabin crew, are not paid very well for the work and training you do. You have to remember though, the majority of cabin crew are only with the company for about 18 months. They will probably only have one Christmas whilst working here and if your union reps can't figure out that the company know that an offer of a pay increase now plus backdated pay, just before Christmas is most likely to sway the vote in favour of acceptance.

Of course, we'll all find out how everyone who voted thinks in a weeks time. My gut feeling is that the current offer will probably be accepted. I may be wrong and if I am then I think that you are probably heading for trouble because of your divided union leadership and the fact that you are prepared to take industrial action with no confidence in your leadership.

The only way to win your battles is to plan them exceedingly well with confidence in your "generals" and know exactly what resources both you and your enemy have. In the case of the cabin crew, I fear that most of those objectives are missing. I will watch the outcome with interest from the other side of the flight deck door.

Please remember, we are not against you negotiating for a decent pay deal. You have our support. But, if you don't want our advice then we won't give it. As always, we enjoy your visits on the long flights and are more than happy to act as sounding boards for your opinions.

Good luck, because I think you're going to need it.