PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - R44 corrosion/"stoppo motors" merged threads
Old 27th Oct 2007, 12:12
Graviman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sandyhelmet
RHC is very reluctant to recommend any corrosion protection, so we are left to figure something out. So lots of brushing, zinc chromate and paint, followed by a good wash program.
I get very annoyed about corrosion. An organisation serious about it's reputation would dedicate resource to investigate and test the many different options that exist in the market to avoid corrosion. There is just no excuse in 2007.

Corrosion is caused by a galvanic cell between the metal and oxygen, and is catalysed by small pH differences in each water droplet contacting the metal. Factory applied high temperature wax is makes an effective barrier to stop water contacting the metal. These guys might be a good place to start investigating solutions:
http://www.waxoyl.com/en/produkte/index.htm

After market WaxOyl (available from Halfords in UK), should be applied with extremely careful consideration. It is an oil based product, so can cause deterioration in rubber hoses, bushes, belts etc. Also it will lubricate so should not be used in between bolted joints (since clamping friction will be reduced). It will also be flung off from rotating components, and melts in a warm environment. In the right conditions it may support combustion.

There are cold processes for electrolytic zinc coat. If i was trying to find a solution i would search the yellow pages, then discuss options with the OEM. Water in the UK is a fact of life, and the design just should cater for it.
Yellow page search for UK Anodisers

Hope this helps - the OEM should have done all this...

Last edited by Graviman; 27th Oct 2007 at 13:45. Reason: Being careful to present information to allow leads for engineers to investigate, without offering advice.