PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How can we educate the Public on the Pilot Shortage!
Old 26th Oct 2007, 14:36
Lodown

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Charliethewonderdog, you’ll just have to excuse me if I’m not fully grasping your argument.

As Placido mentioned, there are other issues to consider than just “management” for a pilot shortage. It takes two to form an employment contract of sorts. An offer is made, there is consideration and there is an acceptance. Are you blaming the person who made the low offer? Should you not be placing a large proportion of blame with the person who willingly chose to accept the low offer?

What’s wrong with pilots leaving to accept positions overseas? It’s the way a free market should work. The same should apply to pilots who want to migrate here. Company executives are under no obligation to employ pilots to keep them from going overseas.

You think you’re undervalued. A fundamental concept of a market economy is that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. You might think your talents are worth $300,000 per year, but if the highest bidder is only prepared to pay $20,000, then that’s what your skills are worth.

Advertising? At present, difficulty finding experienced pilots and other staff is a company supply issue. Do you think pilots are going to be held responsible for a pilot shortage? All the rhetoric to this stage is from company executives trying to encourage a growth in employee resources and avoid the finger of blame from shareholders. I can’t understand why you want to advertise. Pilots are entering an unprecedented era of great employment opportunities and phenomenal growth potential and you want to fiddle-fart about and present your side of the argument. What do you care if there is a pilot shortage? It should be all good news for you. Get out and make hay while the sun shines and forget about trying to get one over on the company execs. A pilot shortage is their problem to sort out, not yours. Your problem should be trying to make the best of the opportunities available.

Last edited by Lodown; 26th Oct 2007 at 15:02.