PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How can we educate the Public on the Pilot Shortage!
Old 26th Oct 2007, 02:12
Lodown

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chaliethewonderdog, what is the outcome you wish to achieve? Educate the public for what reason?

I'm actually supportive of aircraft's argument on this one. If you feel that pilots have been screwed, then shame on you. You and every other pilot in Australia could take your services elsewhere if you felt you weren't getting paid enough.

That's not to say I don't support an increase in wages. I do! However, the reason why wages have been so low for years is not the sole blame of airline company execs. They have a job to do and that is to reduce their costs and increase their profits as much as they possibly can. The pilots en masse had very little bargaining power and zero negotiating skills. The corporate execs don't come to work wondering which pilots they can bust down each day.

(Unfortunately, this isn't a good forum for the airline exec. Any one of them who tried to represent the other side would immediately be on the defensive and his/her argument wouldn't have much opportunity to be heard.)

"You get what you negotiate!" You're in a much better position to negotiate your service fees these days and it's getting more favourable with each day. If you go into a meeting with the intention to be the screwer and not the screwee, I can almost guarantee you'll come out as the victim. Know your price and your worth, leave the malice outside and negotiate as a professional and not as a thug.