PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How can we educate the Public on the Pilot Shortage!
Old 26th Oct 2007, 02:04
Charliethewonderdog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just don't want the Airlines to get an easy ride from the Government when they caused the Pilot shortage.

The public don't care???? well all my friends outside of aviation do!!

They know what it's cost. They know how hard it's been.

You tell them what a GA pilot earns and they laugh, " I got paid more working for coles", or " my girlfriend earns more as receptionist!"

I personally know a dozen pilots that have lost their lives, How many receptionist or coles workers have lost their lives????
You tell them what a RFDS pilot earns and the reply " a ambo driver earns twice that " hmmm.

Then they normally came back with the old chestnut " it will be all worth it when you get to an airline " until you mention that you have to come up $30,000 dollars and then they start to laugh again.

I bet most of you have had the same response's from friends.

A properly run campaign to educate the wider community, who at a guess would probably know someone who is a pilot, so as to explain to them what is required to become a pilot, the training, the costs, the conditions are etc...
Just so they know.......

Or are we too proud or embarrassed to public admit what a weak group of professionals we are??? and that we have been screwed over constantly.
I think so.

During my Career I can honestly say that I am absolutely embarrassed to be apart of group of professionals that can't even fight for basic working conditions.
Companies treat as like the jokes that we are.

By the way I was talking about the KIDS in Iraq ( the thousands that have been killed), proves my point perfectly.

If you don't know you DON'T have to CARE. So educate them.