PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New FBO at Southend
View Single Post
Old 22nd Oct 2007, 09:56
Toxic Thrust

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Certainly haven't heard of any news yet but would agree with TUGNBAR that a full service FBO set up is definately required there.

The fact is that the location requires investment. The existing airport operator has a prime FBO site in the terminal building and the adjacent development area next to it. But THEY don't seem to be prepared to put any their own money into a hangar and more focussed FBO set up. Strangely enough though they seem prepared to run an FBO and flaunt plans for a hangar at Biggin Hill! It is a fact that even the airport operator has the mistaken view that good old SEN is just fit for maintenance traffic along with possible pax and freight flights.

It is the major FBO players at Luton, Farnborough and Stansted that are facing the capacity issues. It would seem common sense for one of them to set up a satellite FBO in the London area to park up some of the dead metal that clogs their ramps. The added bonus is that you end up with an FBO that is at an H24 airport with a direct rail link through to Stratford International for the 2012 Olympics.

It is the major players that seem to make the best job of pulling in the traffic and providing the facilities at Luton and suchlike. To such an extent that they are rammed to capacity, with no room to expand and turning traffic away.

I think I have just convinced myself of the case to do it! Better go and get myself a bank loan