PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Has saluting had its day?
View Single Post
Old 14th Oct 2001, 12:27
Yozzer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kaa050

If you were a "real" officer then debate would never have got to this stage, as it happens you tell a tale which justifies the thread. Since starting this thread I have read with interest the various responses and had plenty of time to consider my own opinion.

There are senior officers who I salute with sincere admiration for their leadership. Note that Queenie does not feature here, but discipline and respect does.

Sadly a trend of late has been for the good guys to leave, which leaves us lead by more than one to55er. I salute these people because convention says that I must, but a smart salute accompanied by the time of day regardless of personal opinion.

If I had witnessed to scene that Kaa050 mentioned, they I would have given up.

Similaritiies can be drawn with perm staff at Finningley and now Cranwell calling SNCO FTS students "Plastic". I once saw an ex Cpl RAFP acting Sgt student direct a JT straight to the guardroom without further debate, and the shockwave through the unit lasted a long time. Standing arguing about whether a salute is justified, You "Sir" (Kaa050) did NOT deserve it!

Yozzer

PS

The JT had to write a formal letter of apology to the Sgt by way of "settlement". The Sgt was "asked*" if such a response would satisfactorily avoid formal charge proceedings. *Read as directed