PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Has saluting had its day?
View Single Post
Old 1st Oct 2001, 17:29
Roland Pulfrew

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Question

Yozzer

"As we no longer joust and aircrew rarely wear uniform anyway (SES is just that SES, not uniform, and yes I am aircrew) if we kissed off the whole idea tomorrow, would it be missed?"

I beg to differ old chap. Those who fly the sharp pointy steads are for ever saying how much they enjoy aerial jousting (combat)! Even our multi engine bretheren claim to enjoy the jousting that is air-to-air refuelling!!

As for flying clothing being just SES I think you will find you are wrong. Flying clothing, at least in the RAF, is now No 14 Uniform! Something to do with being in uniform if captured in combat I believe!!!!

I for one think that saluting has a place in the modern military. PC should not force us to dump all our traditions. IMHO those who do not bother, and those who do not correct those who do not bother, are all symptomatic of everything that is going wrong with the military today - laziness and a lack of personal standards?

And it really annoys me that large empires, like that just off the Bristol Ring Road, declare themselves to be a no hat no saluting area. Is it that difficult to pay compliments?

Lights blue touch paper and retires....