PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Royal Brunei Airlines
View Single Post
Old 21st Oct 2007, 04:07
Nkosi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Just a few thoughts

My wife and I lived and worked in Brunei for some four years in the late ‘90’s, met and enjoyed the company of many pleasant people, both local and expatriate. We had a pleasant life style which we enjoyed to the full and were sorry to depart when the time came to go.

My task was to increase the awareness of RBA to the changing international environment that was occurring at the time. Through a lot of hard work by all those who wished to see progress in those areas the European Standards from a Flight Operations and Engineering aspect were reached. It was no easy task but it was enjoyable to see progress bringing positive results and I think that RBA benefited accordingly.

Since that time the situation with regard to the availability of choice and cost for the travelling public have changed, perhaps to the detriment of RBA. By this it is meant that low cost carrier (LCC) philosophies have been adopted within the region by independent, main or off-shoots of the main carriers that operate to similar destinations, but with new, or newer, equipment. Competition is a wonderful thing – weeds out the not so good and promotes the better, to the advantage of all.

So, perhaps the management of such operators within the region has to be smart(er) than ever before, foster good relations within their organisations whilst still trying to make the bottom fiscal line less negative and more positive. To do this, transparent honesty if there is such a thing - in making robust management decisions should be the norm - rather than subterfuge and self serving half decisions.

The purpose of this thread is to suggest, from a distance and after reading the comments made that show more reliance on gripes than by trying to change - or influence change, to alleviate situations which are less than pleasant, by face to face discussions. Perhaps this has been attempted with little effect but rather than let a situation develop the equivalent of CHIRP, to the DCA could be used and may ensure that a particular gripe can be heard by someone other than management of RBA. One never knows, pressure may be brought to bare where it is needed.

Just a thought.