PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin - Crew Discussions II
View Single Post
Old 20th Oct 2007, 16:18
Virgin89

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It would be a pretty sorry state of affairs if as a company we were not investing in new A/C for the future. If there were no orders panned in the pipeline I for one would be more worried. Remember we don't own our A/C we lease them, rent them. We don't pay out any money for these. The order price quoted is what the order is worth, not what VS pay out.
We pay out a deposit, which we get back when the first A/C comes.
I don't want to be working on those old 744 forever with no entertainment. I would love to work on new shiny planes, which I am proud to be on.
Having been an FSM for 10 years now and a man nearly in my forties (can't believe it's nearly here), I along with everyone else at VS is in a position to vote for what I think is correct. I don't think people should be bullied into making any decision they don't want too. People have their own minds, they use them everyday in making many decisions in life, so use it to make this one.
I am pleased that I was able to share my feedback on the last deal to management at check in and at one of the OBM meetings I attended. I am also pleased that this new deal has addressed all the things that I didn't like about the last deal, so it's a YES from me.
Yes I am paid more than a CC/SCC and CSS, however I never used to be. I worked my way up the ranks and have made VS a carer choice, which I love. That is something that all CC/SCC and CSS have the choice to do.
I firmly believe that as we go into this period of no growth for 3-years the company will begin to address the issues that have been raised to them. This included all salaries and supplementary payments like trip pay, crew down etc. Also remember that with the opportunity for anyone FSM with 10-years service in that rank can go part time. This means promotion throughout all the ranks.
I've been asked if I would like to be involved in a workshop on one of these topics in Jan 08, which I agreed too. I want the best for the crew. We are the best in the industry and yes we are not well paid in some aspects to other carriers, however I think the time has come where that will change.
Voting for a strike will do nothing but damage this company. It would mean no promotion, probably down-sizing of routes, which would mean down-sizing of crew.
I remember the Gulf War in the 90's and 9-11. Getting that call at home informing me that I potentially could be made redundant was one of the worst day's of my life.
We have a great lifestyle at VS, much better than any other airline and once salaries are addressed I firmly believe everyone will be a lot happier and content.
We are going to grow eventually and with that comes new promotion and exciting carer prospects. Lets not ruin that by calling a strike, which would only lead to even less money in the pot, lack of customer confidence and eventually job losses. I've seen it happen before.
You have a choice and as an FSM I have never made a point of passing my view on to others, only if they ask me.
We have never been here before and I hope to never be here again and finally think that VS management have learnt a real lesson with this and how it was handled. This is a starting block for the future.
Anyway, take care you all, just wanted to have my say. Flying tonight so off to get some rest.
Happy flying
x