PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How "hands-on" should an instructor be?
View Single Post
Old 19th Oct 2007, 10:25
212man

Received 355 Likes on 199 Posts
I guess like all these queries, we are only being presented with one side of the story. It may well be (and on the face of it appears so) a case of a newby instructor who's a little unsure of himself, and is not as relaxed as he may be, over reacting to things. On the other hand, it could be you have been trained thus far by a slightly gash instructor who fails to correct where appropriate and generally lets you get away with anything, and your new guy is trying to correct all that! I'd bet on the former, but let's not all jump on him without knowing the facts.

Beagle, clearly at altitude the student should be allowed to let mishandling develop without intervention as far as possible, but surely to goodness when landing, the odd prompt "not too far back" with a slight restriction must be better than "IHC," or a little assistance with flare rate ("keep it coming up")? Essentially as Oldbeefer describes (and I think he may know a thing or two about instructing.)

I'm sure we all agree that it is preferable to let the student handle the controls as much as possible, and suddenly taking them off him at a critical moment is fairly hard on his confidence. Much better to debrief something that he has flown himself, but that you had to offer a little assistance with (and he is aware of.)