PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's best - total time or turbine time?
Old 18th Oct 2007, 21:41
DoinTime

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You know it really depends on what kind of work you want to do. As posted before it is alot easier to get you 1000hrs PIC and then work for an off shore company as they will pay for all your transition training.

Even with the 100hrs of turbine insurance companies will ussualy want a factory course completted. Remeber though smaller companies will not want to invest the money in you if they think you may leave soon. I did not want to go offshore so the little turbine time I had and knowing the right people paid off as I was able to do the factory course cheap, build turbine time and be home every night. (apart from the occasional call out of course)

If you have a misses or for any other reason you can not go off shore and you want to work in the area you live. The best thing is networking.... this is even better than having a lot of hrs. The old saying, treat everyone in the helicopter bussiness as though they were your next employer. If not the next employer, they may be able to line you up with someone that is looking for a pilot. It is a lot to do with who you know, especially if you are a low time pilot.

Everyone that sent me a PM, I really appreciate the offers but I think I am going to give a low Turbine time pilot I know a break.....
Again it is who you know. And no he will not be under paid.