PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATC or FC?
Thread: ATC or FC?
View Single Post
Old 18th Oct 2007, 09:22
Never Alert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If ATC is to contribute effectively in present and future operations, it must seek more common ground with the FC guys - although I understand that may already be under way. If they Navy guys can wear 2 hats (FC/ATC), then it is not much to ask our guys to do the same. It must also properly train everbody for OOA ops. The American ATC folks (for all their faults) have had a more tactical/portable view to their ATC. Now they are far from perfect, but we could learn a few things from them. However late in the day that may be.

I think it's a little unrealistic to expect an ATC guy to carry out his duties whilst remaining current as a FC. The Navy guys do both jobs but not to the degree that their RAF counterparts do.

Amalgamation may well be on the way, a good thing IMHO, however, controllers will still be streamed at the beginning of training and end up doing either ATC or FC duties. In the short term, we need to be working together in order to make the best of a bad situation. Perhaps having a small ATC presence at 1ACC in theatre would be a good start. That said, I don't think that would be a popular move...