PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Royal Brunei Airlines
View Single Post
Old 18th Oct 2007, 06:51
The Local Guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Locals DO care, more than you think we do.

xrba
-The Malay Brunei locals do not have an outstanding reputation for industry or decision making, and expat career structures are of little concern to them. The actual state of the outfit is someone else's problem lah. Considering the wealth of the place, especially with the current oil price, is the rest of Brunei's infrastructure in such sparkling condition that RBA is the only exception? Look around you! Do the locals really care? Will anything ever change?

Ndicho Moja
-The people of Brunei put up with expatriates because there is a job to be done that really does not interest them in the least.

Your assessment of Brunei Malays as lacking in industry and decision-making, has shown your outright arrogance and ignorance during your stay here. Are you saying our main shareholder, His Majesty, who is a Brunei Malay, has these traits? If you've been in Brunei, you would know that things have changed a lot in the last 15 years. Under His Majesty's guidance, infrastructure and support has improved.

I'm a Brunei Malay pilot and have been with the airline for nearly 15 years. My family and friends are here in Brunei, this is home. Unless i resign and leave, i'll still be here for another 30 years.
20 years from now, when most of the expat pilots have left, i will still be here insya-Allah. We locals DO care and we DO give a damn about this airline.

Having said that, my local counterparts and i, do welcome the experience of expats in RBA. Variety after all, is the spice of life.
10 years ago, we only had 20 odd locals and now our numbers have increased to over 70. No doubt, the numbers will increase in the next 20 years. So do you think these 70 plus locals DON'T care?

When you are sipping your beer cans by your pool in Spain, Sydney or wherever you'll end up retiring, we will still be here. The airline that is in chaos will still be here and it will be OUR PROBLEM.

Yes, there are many problems in RBA. Not just in Flight Ops but elsewhere too. But since you guys have so many complaints about Flight Ops and RBA as a whole, why not give a more constructive solution rather than blasting names.

Yes, CD's man-management skills has a lot to be desired for but let's not forget the man puts more work into training than previous FCTM's. (By the by, i'm not one of his clones, i'm just a line pilot who still has hair)
So if CD is not the man to run training, who should run it? And what of SN and the Dalai Lama? Shall we replace them too? Shall we sack everyone who we think are incompetent? Shall we beg for MF and JC to come back since they did a 'great' job before?
Don't just address the problem, come up with a solution.

The problem with these postings is that all you guys ever talk about are you, you and you.

"Oh the Expats are getting hard done by, we should all leave!"

"The locals are incompetent idiots, they don't care, we can do a better job running this place"
(Right, just like what our ex-CEO Foster did)

Do you know, when i fly with an expat FO, he's earning more than i am. I would leave and move to greener pastures but i haven't. Maybe it's because i DO care.

Royal BRUNEI Airlines ..... The name has the word Brunei on it. The same Brunei that used to pay for YOUR salary and feed YOUR family.
You were here before, you flew for us, you left and i wish you all the best for you and your family.
So why are you still posting negative threads again on RBA and especially about Brunei-Malays? Because you're grateful? Because YOU care?
Riiiight.

You've obviously left for greener pastures so why not just move on and get on with it. Let the people who are still working for RBA, both expat and local, try their best to work together to get us out of this rut.
If you have a positive comment, it's more than welcome. Negative ones just bring the place down.

Last edited by The Local Guy; 18th Oct 2007 at 16:21.