PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER - 5
Thread: MANCHESTER - 5
View Single Post
Old 16th Oct 2007, 20:50
PAXboy
Paxing All Over The World

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts
Staff Relations

This came to my attention from a newsletter that I receive. Any comments? Did this happen as reported? Is it recent, or is this old news? I realise that the car park is probably operated by an independent company (NCP?)

The National Secular Society has called on the Government to permit employers to declare their workplaces to be secular after another incident of conflict over religion emerged.

This week, a Catholic man was suspended for three days from his job as a car park supervisor at Manchester Airport after he hung a "picture of Jesus" on the wall of the staff room, and incurred the wrath of a Muslim colleague. He claimed that the picture was deliberate "provocation". Mr Langmead, of Atherton, Greater Manchester, was eventually reinstated without consequences, his employer saying he had done nothing wrong.

Now, instead of telling employees to leave their religion at home, the airport has engaged the chaplain and his team to work with employees to "foster a greater level of understanding about each other's beliefs". It does not say whether these lessons in tolerance will be part of the working day when, presumably people uninterested in religion will be left to hold the fort while the believers go off for their training in hate management.

There were other instances of this issue, both from LHR and mainstream UK employers but I am only posting that which is relevant to this forum and thread.