PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin - Crew Discussions II
View Single Post
Old 14th Oct 2007, 08:02
High as a Kite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been following this very long discussion with equal amounts of interest and bemusement. There have been some very valid points made and some comments that are just plain out there
Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion and I'm all for free speech. These are my feelings on the pay discussions, which I'm certain some will agree with and others won't. Either way, I'm not enforcing my opinion on anyone, it's purely my opportunity to express my thoughts....
There has been a lot of talk about a fairer deal for FSMs/CSSs. Indeed there have been a few comments on here along the lines of "I was happy with what I got when I joined as a Junior but expect more now I've worked my way through the ranks". The company are now proposing a deal along these lines with an better package for onboard managers(OBMs). However the response is now changing to....what about the Juniors and Seniors? Surely by offering an improved deal to the OBMs it is an incentive to stay with the company and work your way through the ranks thus decreasing the high staff turnover and the costs this incurs.
The initial offer was derisory and I'm sorry our ground staff are not represented and therefore had this offer forced upon them. It does cause a divide within the company and generates a certain amount of ill feeling. I look forward to the day when engineers, ground crew and all other departments are able to negotiate a deal that is right for them. Everyone plays an integral role in the day to day running of the airline and should be recognised for it accordingly.
The subsequent offers had all sorts of if and buts attached to them and were of course rejected as well.
There are discussions going on all over the Internet about this pay deal. This is just one of many. Some of the mud slingers have even resorted to hurling insults at our customers, causing irrepairable damage to the business. It's a simple business theory, but where do they think the money comes from to fund pay increases??
The latest offer deserves serious consideration. Those who have worked in the airline industry for any period of time will realise just how volitile it is. The success rests largely on the prosperity of the economy and a looming recession will cause a dramatic down turn. It doesn't matter whether a strike occurs over a 24hr, 7 day or 1 month period, it will cause devastating results. Those who are considering a no vote must bear this in mind.
I've invested over 10 years with Virgin Atlantic. I enjoy my job, work very hard and reap the rewards. Is it the best paid job? No it isn't. Is it the best job? To me it is, there is nothing else I want to do. Am I prepared to jump on the gravy train for a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow? No, I'm prepared to accept a reasonable offer which has very few conditions attached. Oh and before anyone says "it's just another management invasion trying to fudge the discussion"....my answer is....yes I am a manager.....on onboard manager.

Last edited by High as a Kite; 14th Oct 2007 at 08:09. Reason: previous submission did not work