PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Updated briefing Samedan/LSZS
View Single Post
Old 11th Oct 2007, 21:58
Johnny Redd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well MD I apologise if my title has ruffled your feathers, but it is a question not a statement.

I fly for european GA charter outfit that regularly operates in to LSZS (many don't). The company brief states that VFR conditions must exist to descend below MSA, basically no cloud in the valley. Without passengers I've 'bent' the rules and flown into a hole and quite frankly it was the most terrifying 10 minutes of my x-thousand hours so far. Stuck under an overcast, heading the wrong way down a narrowing valley towards an enourmous MSA and a military danger zone and the only way out is up through the clag. And when we landed at our diversion airfield the management were only too quick to demand we return as "other operators were getting in".

I appreciate that there are pilots who have "local" knowledge but pushing the limits at this particular field is really not sensible.

I'm not out to irritate you or seek justification, flying is full of variables and lets say whats safe one day may not be the next.

But lets ask the question, just what limits are being used??????