PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - McRae Crash & Fatal Accident Inquiry
View Single Post
Old 11th Oct 2007, 21:25
3top

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unfortunately most true reporters/journalists (Investigative Journalists??) don't work for "Daily Sensation", but for papers or channels the general public considers too much "work" to consult regularly.
It is easier to get "entertained" by "Daily blood and gore and action..."
That's why I never talk to any journalist/reporter (the story teller version...).
However it is the general public (me included) that controls demand!
Certainly not as devastating as this particular case, but serves as a sample:
You all remember the impossible BS helicopters can do in James Bond movies (...incl. the mostly wrong sounds) and others.
Well, a Geologist that flies frequently with me (pilot himself though plank..) told me that his wife is a Archeologist/Historian with a special in Ancient Rome.
Now SHE got really upset with the not period matching costumes in "The Gladiator". They where off some 350 years. Imagine running around like Robin Hood these days....
Well, I didn't care. Didn't even know until that day! Still was a great movie to me! I was the general public in this case...
99% of the public is like that, except for ones speciality!
It is futile to fight for accuracy for everyone! No one cares, except for the 1%.
Of course when real people get involved (as opposed to actors....) things should matter!
Still futile...
In some future documentory you may see the "Story of McRae's tragic accident", hopefully by something like Discovery or NatGeo or alike.
Until then, swallow it, just change the channel... (or get angry...)
It was mentioned before by the "new guy", that he watched a lot of Aviation accident series.
Did you realise that these are generally very old accidents, mostly some 10+ years in the past....
Serious journalism takes time. Most none of the individual journalists involved have the resources to do their own investigation and have to rely on the official report, long time after "sensation" is depleted.
It is just here we are in a speciality corner and we get worked up everytime (way to often lately... unfortunately) something happens....
Didn't know McRae, but what my gut tells me about him, from the reaction of people in the know on this thread (and the other one...) I find it improbable that he would be "out of paperwork" for that long. Expired since '05???
Again, speculation.
Even so, what do I care.
Expired paperwork, lost paperwork, wrong paperwork doesn't make you crash.... (General Public may have a different opinion, ....I am with the 1% here)
Something else does....
3top
PS: I take it no real insights yet?
Didn't know the man personally , but I do fly the B3 version of the bird, so am VERY interested to find out why....

Last edited by 3top; 12th Oct 2007 at 14:43.