PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight Instructor Rating After PPL
View Single Post
Old 11th Oct 2007, 15:51
VFE
Dancing with the devil, going with the flow... it's all a game to me.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I found that a large proportion of the CPL ground exams were irrelevant, and much of it was rote learning that I forgot almost as soon as the exams were over.
But it's remarkable how some of that apparently useless information sticks in the reccesses of yer mind, ready to spring forth like a fountain when prompted by a certain question or student action. At least I find it does anyway. We all slag off the writtens for CPL (or ATPL) but the info gained is generally not as useless as many make it out to be. Those of us who downplay it do so for reasons of self depreciation and humility or in the case of some, just simple self defence because they haven't sat them. Then there's those old cats who teach, who started life out in the RAF or airlines, who take much of that written **** for granted because it's part of who they are by now. But it still has it's value... just not worth the arse reaming prices the CAA charge to sit them, that's all. And yes some of it is ****e - for example that all hallowed "how many fire extinguishers does a B797 have onboard....?" stuff but in general not as bad as we make them out to be. In truth it's just 'cool' to slag those written exams off.

On another note, all the studying gives you an insight into the dedication required for succeeding at something and helps you empathise with the students more. Those exams are all about going through a recognised course of study and sifting the wheat from the chaff, I came through a stronger person as a result and observed many fine ground school instructors along the way practicing their vocation on myself so therefore am better suited as a person to instruct pilots than I was before.

VFE.

Last edited by VFE; 11th Oct 2007 at 16:14.