PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: The REX Cadet Scheme
View Single Post
Old 10th Oct 2007, 08:10
ABX
AustralianMade

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G'day Havick,

Thanks for the post.

I think you'll find with the school in melbourne that trains Qantas Cadets that they are expensive, there's no doubt.
I talked to a couple of graduates from the that school, neither of them got through on minimum hours, one spent $110K (& feels very ripped off) when he graduated he was told that he was among the top of his class and offered a job - on $19K/p.a.!

It wasn't all bad though, during the course his uniforms were supplied, texts, headsets etc., had to be paid for as an extra cost.

BTW, they were not the only expensive school down south, another tried to sell me a 'cadet ship' in which the cost of employing me after the course was tacked onto the course cost! One option was a 'cadet ship' of 20 hours ICUS upon graduation. Now that would be a fat lot of use to a broke student pilot!

So far those who have replied - and a sincere thanks for your reply - have done little to change my mind, it seems that the options are:

a) Go to an expensive MEL school and pay heaps without a guarantee of qualifying in minimum hours.

b) Go to a more reasonable local school without a guarantee of qualifying in minimum hours!

Like I said, I have a bulging sling file full of brochures, print outs and notes.

Cheers.

**My only vested interest is in getting myself the best value for money I can possibly get, I have no undisclosed associations.