PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Frustrated (?) pilots and security screening
Old 5th Oct 2007, 07:53
Shiny side down

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Widavjon
Many of my experiences are with BAA staff of 'indeterminate' capacity, save that they have been decked out in the new Sky-Farce uniform, and seemingly with the unform gos the mandate- behave as you see fit. All praise to those who have taken it seriously. Shame on the rest who are using the position for other gain.

I have operated out of one non- BAA airport in the NW, and there is a world of difference in the manner and demeanor of the staff at the security area.
With that aside, and not knowing what your exact position is (I am a FO), or how your position relates to traditional security services...
Surely you must be able to accept that the totally cack-handed manner with which security is being implemented across the country, and especially in some of the more notable airports controlled by a single major operator, that this is totally unnecessary, and even destructive to the end goal of making aviation safe.

As I mentioned previously, trained security staff on the whole have a completely different approach to the task than do the majority of the other staff performing the task at present.

Look at how 2 police officers would scrutinise a large group of people. Observation is a major factor. Not being distracted for large periods of time by random banter. The random banter may continue, but it doesn't have the same distracting effect.
It's most definitely not as confrontational as much of the treatment being given to staff who have an equal obligation to be in the same place.