PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Female Flight Instructor
View Single Post
Old 4th Oct 2007, 13:17
pondlife

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why?

I, too, can confirm that Carol Cooper is highly recommended as an instructor at various levels including FI.

However, I have to wonder why you care about the instructor's sex. Choosing an instructor based on their sex is no more valid than choosing one based on their race.

In this case I don't suppose that your prejudice is illegal because you won't be employing directly but I can suggest some other criteria you should apply in place of the sex of your instructor: -

1. Their ability to instruct you. Reputation is relevant but their natural style will suit some students better than others. A better instructor will be able to adapt their natural style to you to some extent but if you are poles apart then you're not likely to work well together.

2. Whether you're likely to enjoy each other's company - you'll be spending a fair bit of time together in a small space.

3. Availability on the terms that suit you.

4. A location that suits you.

5. Working within an organisation that will help rather than hinder the process.

I would suggest that you apply sensible criteria including but not limited to the above and then not worry what race, sex, good/bad looks etc, you end up with. There are plenty of people of both sexes in all professions who are better or worse than their peers quite independantly of their sex.