PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK JAR info
Thread: UK JAR info
View Single Post
Old 4th Oct 2007, 09:39
Marcus the wise

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Howzit again
The flight training requirements I believe are this, that you will have do a minimum of 15 hours ATPL preparation at a certified flight school if you have a foreign license. That flight school will during that time decide if you are ready for you test. I do know of some SA pilots that have got away with some sim dual and then done that JAA ATPL test in a level D sim. But that was due to the fact that they were flying large category transport aircraft and the sim was the same aircraft as they fly
With regards to work permits, I do know 2 SA guys that when't to fly ATR's in Ireland and as far as I know they did not have EU passports and the company organised work permits. But just remember that is the excemption not the rule. I guess it will largely depend on what country you are going to work in and who you work for.
I must agree with South Coast though, without a EU passport you will really struggle and it may not be worth it. There are ways round it, i.e. working for MK and living in Britian for 5 years will help you get a work permit. But as I have said do the research before you commit that amount of money as it might not pay off without an EU passport.