PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK JAR info
Thread: UK JAR info
View Single Post
Old 4th Oct 2007, 08:39
Marcus the wise

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Howzit again.
With regards to the costs of getting the JAA license full time I can tell you it is VERY!! expensive. You are looking in the region of 20 000 pounds. There are ways to cut the costs but how you will only figure those out once you have gone there and done some research.

These are the costs that you can work in the region of:
Ground school in the region of 6000 pounds.
Accomodation and living expenses average 1000-1500 pounds per months, times 9 months ( 9000-13 500 pounds)
You will have do do Multi crew co operation course, 4000 pounds.
Exams are around 80 pounds each, 14 of them, 1120 pounds if you pass all the first time.
Flight training, work on around 15 hours, 180 pounds for single and 300-500 pounds multi with instructor. So in the region of 4500 pounds.
Flight test and license in the region of 500 pounds and JAA class 1 medical 350 pounds.
So you can see it will cost a whopping 20 000 pounds on average if you go full time. With the current ZAR exchange rate that is in the region of R280 000!!.
With regards to multi crew course, you can get excemption from it if you have 500 multi crew time, but a lot of companies still require it no matter what your experience is. A B1900 or B200 is not considered a multi crew aircraft by JAA.
If you go full time I will recommend Oxford, they seem to have a very good reputation with the airlines when it comes to training pilots. Bristol is more well known for its distance learning programmes. If you go disatnce learning both Oxford and Bristol provide good distance learning programmes.
When it comes to employment,the market is good. Most young pilots will get employed with around 500-1000 hours and a frozen ATPL in a regional or low cost carrier. They usually fly new modern aircraft, 737-800 or A320 or similiar types. Ryanair and EasyJet, have self sponsered programmes for low time pilots (i.e 3000 or less). Other companies will usually bond you around 3 years.
With regards to work permits is is definelty a HUGE advantage to have a EU passport. I know Ryanair do organise work VISA's for DEC only but that is dependant on there needs. I know there is a company in Ireland that hires foreigners who are rated on the ATR, they will organise a work permit for you. MK is interested in JAA rated Saffers, but I guess that all depends on what there demand is.

I believe it is worth it, the market there is good. The time to command is quick and you fly nice new modern equipment in a 1st world country. The employment market is large and the is a shortage of experienced pilots.
Perhaps the best thing to do before you go there and fork of the money is to contact some of the training schools and airlines and see what there policy is regarding the hiring of foreigners. Then you will have an idea of wether it is worth the time and money.
So good luck, if you want more info just post it and I will see if I can help.